Fresh cranberries, freshly squeezed orange juice and a hint of red wine make up this delicious orange cranberry sauce. Add this sweet, yet tart, side dish to your Thanksgiving meal plan. Also, did I mention this orange cranberry sauce is Paleo approved, free from refined sugars and naturally gluten free?? Skip the canned, slimy, jellied cranberry sauce and try making this fresh orange cranberry sauce this year, I promise you won’t regret it!
How many of you remember cranberry sauce from your childhood Thanksgiving meals? My memory is canned jellied cranberry sauce, sliced and served on a nice glass platter. But you could literally see the lines from the can on the jellied cranberry sauce. As a kid this completely grossed me out. I think my mom and grandmother just liked the taste of this jellied cranberry sauce (she’s probably reading this so she might confirm or not confirm this assumption), because otherwise I can’t figure out why anyone would want to eat this slimy dish. But, here’s the ONE reason I’m choosing to make my own fresh cranberry sauce and sharing the recipe with you in hopes that you’ll also make the switch: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. Jellied cranberry sauce contains both high fructose corn syrup AND regular corn syrup. If you avoid one ingredient in your lifetime, this should be the one (in my humble opinion). Well, maybe not THE one, but you get my point. I always urge everyone to simply educate themselves on the food they’re putting into their bodies because I know we each have to truly learn and BELIEVE something before we’ll make any significant changes. There are several studies, articles, etc. out there on the adverse effects of HFCS on our bodies, but I’ll just share one. If you have time, take a peak at Dr. Mark Hyman’s article 5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You. Needless to say, this orange cranberry sauce recipe contains NO high fructose corn syrup, or any refined sugars for that matter. Not to mention it tastes pretty dang good, too!
Don’t forget, here’s the FULL Wanderlust and Wellness Thanksgiving Meal Plan:
- Tuesday, November 1st – Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesday, November 2nd – Maple Mustard Roasted Carrots
- Thursday, November 3rd – Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Friday – November 4th – Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Saturday, November 5th – Paleo Dinner Rolls & Mini-Pumpkin Pies
- Sunday, November 6th – Butternut Sausage Stuffing
- Monday, November 7th – Roasted Mushrooms and Green Beans
- Tuesday, November 8th – Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli
- Wednesday, November 9th – Bone Broth Gravy
- Thursday, November 10th – Maple Herb Turkey
- Friday, November 11th – Apple Galette with Whiskey Whip Cream
I’ll also be posting a full shopping list and meal planner on Saturday, November 12th.
Orange Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 16 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ⅔ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- Rinse fresh cranberries and add to a large saucepan.
- Add in the water, sugar, and orange juice.
- Bring to a slow boil and boil for about 3-4 minutes, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries are cooked down and thickened.
- Add in red wine and orange zest and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Top with additional orange zest before serving, if preferred.