I’m a sucker for anything with a crust, especially this gluten-free cinnamon apple galette. Galettes were a new dessert to me in recent years, but it’s quickly becoming my favorite because of their rustic, artisanal appearance compared to the perfectly created lattice pies you see floating around. Galettes are similar to tarts, however, the distinction lies within the crust. While tarts have a more straight-side crust, galettes are a more rustic, free-form crust. In other words, the PERFECT crust for a beginner baker like me!
This gluten-free cinnamon apple galette will be a crowd favorite at your Thanksgiving dinner (or anytime for that matter). This dessert also uses two of my favorite ingredients for healthier, gluten-free baking; Cup4Cup Gluten-free Multipurpose Flour and Wholesome’s Organic Cane Sugar. I can’t get over how easy this dessert was to make. You do not need to be a baking expert to create a beautiful galette like this one. You could also make individual serving size galettes, too!
Don’t forget, here’s the FULL Wanderlust and Wellness Thanksgiving Meal Plan:
(I’ve made a few adjustments along the way)
- Tuesday, November 1st – Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesday, November 2nd – Maple Mustard Roasted Carrots
- Thursday, November 3rd – Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Friday – November 4th – Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Saturday, November 5th – Mini-Pumpkin Pies with Maple Cinnamon Coconut Cream
- Sunday, November 6th – Thanksgiving Meat and Cheese Board and Gluten-free Dinner Rolls
- Monday, November 7th – Butternut Sausage Stuffing and Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Tuesday, November 8th – Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli
- Wednesday, November 9th – Bone Broth Gravy
- Thursday, November 10th – Apple Galette
- Friday, November 11th – Maple Herb Turkey
I’ll also be posting a full shopping list and meal planner on Saturday, November 12th.
Gluten-free Cinnamon Apple Galette Recipe:
- Filling ingredients:
- 4 tart apples (I used Braeburn), peeled and chopped
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. allspice
- 2 eggs
- Crust ingredients:
- 1¾ cup gluten-free flour blend (I use Cup4Cup Multipurpose Gluten-free Flour)
- 1 tbsp. organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup grassfed, unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut butter into cubes and add to flour mixture. using a pastry blender of fork, cut in the butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cold water and mix to combine (add in additional 1-2 tbsp. of cold water as needed until the mixture comes together well)
- Press the dough into a ball or disc, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, add apples, sugar, cinnamon and allspice to a large mixing bowl. Set aside until dough is ready.
- When dough is ready, lay out one sheet of parchment paper and flour lightly. Add dough to floured surface. Then cover dough with an additional sheet of parchment paper and roll out into a large 12-14 inch circle.
- Carefully transfer the dough to a lined baking sheet. It's okay if the dough breaks or cracks, that's all part of the rustic feel with these.
- Spoon filling into the center of the dough, then carefully fold up the edges, letting them naturally fold in.
- In a small bowl, whisk the one egg with 1 tsp. cold water and brush over the crust edges. Sprinkle additional sugar across the entire galette and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and let slightly cool before serving.