These gluten-free apple fritters taste like a funnel cake, no joke! I normally try to limit my gluten-free treats because, well, they’re still treats. But it feels good knowing exactly what ingredients are included when I do decide to indulge myself, like with these apple fritters! Fresh apples and cinnamon combined with the funnel cake-ish taste, you seriously can’t go wrong with these. The perfect weekend treat while you sip your warm coffee on a cool, Fall morning.
I’m not a huge icing fan, so I chose to just sprinkle a little organic powdered sugar on these and it added just the right amount of sweetness. You might wonder what the difference is between organic powdered sugar and traditional powdered sugar and the difference is in the quality of ingredients. Organic powdered sugar uses organic cane sugar and tapioca starch where traditional powdered sugar uses white, bleached, refined sugar and corn starch. It’s all about the quality of ingredients we put in our bodies.
Did I mention these taste like funnel cakes?? Now go make these!
- 2¼ cup Cup4Cup Gluten-free Multipurpose flour
- 2½ tbsp. + 1 tbsp. organic cane sugar
- 1½ tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 apples (Granny Smith is preferred), peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- Organic powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 cup coconut oil for frying
- In a skillet, melt the 2 tbsp. coconut oil and add in the diced apples, 1 tbsp. sugar and cinnamon and cook until apples are soft and tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the apple mixture.
- Melt the coconut oil in a deep skillet on medium heat. Let the oil heat, then drop large spoonfuls of the dough into the oil. Gently mash down the mounds if needed.
- Brown on one side (about 3-4 minutes) and then flip.
- Remove from pain and place onto a lined baking sheet to drain.
- Dust with organic powdered sugar and serve warm.