Stuffing, oh, stuffing, another one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes! This butternut sausage stuffing is gluten-free, savory, and full of flavor. You can use any of your favorite gluten-free breads with this recipe. The sweet Italian chicken sausage brings out additional flavor, along with the chicken broth, butternut squash, celery, onions, and seasonings. I promise you that removing gluten products from your diet does not mean you have to compromise on flavor.
You can also make the majority of this stuffing ahead of time, like the night before, to cut back on preparation time come Thanksgiving day. As I mentioned before, I’m going to include a preparation and cooking timeline with the meal plan to help you plan our your cooking schedule. I never knew cooking a large meal like this was such a jigsaw puzzle. Having to get everything cooked, but not at the same time, but keep it all warm, it’s definitely a challenge! But YOU can do it!
Don’t forget, here’s the FULL Wanderlust and Wellness Thanksgiving Meal Plan:
(I’ve made a few adjustments along the way)
- Tuesday, November 1st – Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad
- Wednesday, November 2nd – Maple Mustard Roasted Carrots
- Thursday, November 3rd – Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Friday – November 4th – Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Saturday, November 5th – Mini-Pumpkin Pies with Maple Cinnamon Coconut Cream
- Sunday, November 6th – Thanksgiving Meat and Cheese Board and Gluten-free Dinner Rolls
- Monday, November 7th – Butternut Sausage Stuffing and Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Tuesday, November 8th – Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Aioli
- Wednesday, November 9th – Bone Broth Gravy
- Thursday, November 10th – Maple Herb Turkey
- Friday, November 11th – Apple Galette
Butternut Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 1 loaf (approx. 16 slices) gluten-free bread
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash - diced
- ½ tsp. Thyme
- ¼ tsp. Sage
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric
- ¼ tsp. garlic
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2¼ cups organic chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add in chopped onion, celery, and squash. Sauté until the vegetables begin to soften. Add in spices and stir well.
- Add in chicken sausage and continue to cook until sausage is cooked through.
- While the vegetable and sausage mixture is cooking, cut up 16 slices of gluten-free bread into cubes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Once sausage mixture is done cooking, add to bowl with bread cubes and toss together.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan and add stuffing to pan. Pour chicken broth evenly over the stuffing mixture and toss.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Pin for later: